Skip to main content

Welcome Back & Book Review




Hi Parents!

     How are you all doing?  I pray that you all are well and that you are finding some sort of beauty in this season. If I'm being honest, the combination of more family time and slowing down has helped me pinpoint some gaps in my parenting.
     A few weeks ago, after a couple of challenging days with my little ones, I plopped into bed feeling that same old familiar feeling of tiredness mixed with unsettling. Did my children hold a secret meeting to plan ways to push my buttons? I pictured them in their super hero pjs writing their plan on a whiteboard while I thought they were sleeping. I laid in bed and started scrolling different articles, blogs and parenting websites for guidance.  I ended up ordering some books to help me with these cycles that I feel I get stuck in with my parenting.
     Over Spring break I dove into No-Drama Discipline: The Whole-Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind By Daniel J. Seigel and Tina Payne Bryson (longest title ever!). I highly recommend this book to any parent. The book unpacks what's going on with your child's brain in a way that makes you go, "Ah, now it all makes sense."

Here are some of my favorite takeaways from the book: 

  • The word used in the title as "discipline" is explained in the book as "teaching."
  • When our children are upset, their downstairs brain is reacting. Our job is to teach them how to calmly integrate their upstairs brain too.
  • Children need to be taught how to regulate their emotions. When your child is having a meltdown think of it as their way of saying, "I need help."
  • Connection and empathy are the first priority in moments of difficulty. "Engage don't enrage." Have you ever had a hard time and then had someone tell you to calm down, or that you should have known better? It's a pretty surefire way to get someone more upset. Children are the same way. I'm challenged to lean on understanding first and then to wait for the teachable moment. Without connection, emotions can continue to spiral out of control.
  • Consistency is important
  • I learned to make eye contact, listen to their frustrations and to respect them.  It's important to show them that I'm on their side even in their most difficult moments.
     These takeaways only scratch the surface of this wonderful book. I really believe it's going to be one I come back to and flip through often.

Heres the link to buy No Drama- Discipline on Amazon


Hug your preschooler for me!
Miss Kat



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help Me Grow Orange County

Do you have questions about your child's development?  We wanted to share an awesome resource for parents and caregivers in Orange County.  Help Me Grow is a trusted local organization that connects families to developmental services.  You can contact Help Me Grow for help with:   Behavior Parenting Child Development Speech and Language Developmental Screening Support Groups School Readiness Education Call 1.886.GROW.025    (1.866.476.9025) or visit them online! https://www.helpmegrowoc.org/about.html Hit the Family tab on their website then scroll to the bottom and enter your email to subscribe to Help Me Grow's Parent Newsletter.

3 Ways to Teach Empathy to Your Preschooler

Hey Parents, Teaching empathy is harder than it seems. Studies actually call empathy a skill and, as you may know already, it comes more easily to some than others. So what exactly is empathy? Empathy is defined as "the ability to understand and share the feelings of another." My favorite explanation is given by the one and only Brene Brown- Check it out below.. So now that we've defined what empathy is, we can start to practice it.  Because if there's one thing I know about having children, it's that it's nearly impossible to teach something well if you don't practice it yourself. Which leads me to my first point. Model it -  Yikes this is a challenging one! Being mindful that our children are watching most everything we do is important. They're watching you treat your waitress with kindness or ignoring your postal worker. They're learning from you picking up the trash outside the restaurant or leaving things for someone else to