Skip to main content

Quiet Time Activities





Good morning parents!

I hope and pray that you had a good weekend and that you are all safe and sound in your homes. At my house, we've been working hard to establish a rhythm. My 5 year old Keegan is really sensitive to change and thrives when he has a predicable schedule (can anyone relate?). Today I wanted to share with you some activities that my boys are doing during "quiet time" aka the time momma gets some work done. To clarify, quiet time in our house doesn't always mean quiet. If my boys are safe and occupied, it's a success!

Play dough- Here's my all time favorite recipe!
Mix the below ingredients on the stove at medium heat for about 3 minutes or until contents become firm. Once cooled, knead into a ball and you're ready to play! Add an essential oil if thats your thing.
We used yellow food coloring and two drops of a citrus blend oil for lemon play dough this week!
*store in an airtight container

1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of salt
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 cup of water
food coloring

The trick for making play dough a success during quiet time is what you add. Add some construction trucks so they can make a road out of play dough. Take loose part items you have around the house,  or from your nature walk, and watch your kiddos create something wonderful!


You can also find free play dough mat printables by clicking here.

Color sorting-  Grab some different colored construction paper and have your little ones sort some of their toys by color.  For example, have them put all of their green trains on the green paper. I try to make it even more fun by having my boys sort their current favorites. My 3 year old Everett has a current obsession with his rock collection. Of course, pick larger toys for your young toddler based on age and development. Sorting with Fruit loops is a fun one for younger preschoolers as well.


Create something meaningful - My 5 year old has done really well with crafting during quiet time. Last week I asked him to make some cards for the people he's missing right now. I helped him by writing their names for him to copy. We learned all about mailing letters in our enrichment class, take it to the next level and mail the cards to those special people!

Washing- Let your little ones scrub some of their toys in the sink or bin with a little bit of water and scrubbers. Keegan loves feeling like he's being helpful. I let him bring a sponge to our patio and "clean" our patio furniture. I also let him draw with chalk on our patio and clean it with a sponge. I'm amazed at how much he enjoys it!

Threading- This one is sure to keep your younger preschooler busy. Grab some pipe cleaner and pasta like rigatoni and let them thread. Make a bead tower by putting uncooked spaghetti on your play dough and have them thread beads. It's great for their fine motor development and they like the challenge!


I've rounded up a few more ideas on our new Calvary Chapel Preschool Pinterest page. Check it out by clicking here.

Love and prayers,
Miss Kat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help Me Grow Orange County

Do you have questions about your child's development?  We wanted to share an awesome resource for parents and caregivers in Orange County.  Help Me Grow is a trusted local organization that connects families to developmental services.  You can contact Help Me Grow for help with:   Behavior Parenting Child Development Speech and Language Developmental Screening Support Groups School Readiness Education Call 1.886.GROW.025    (1.866.476.9025) or visit them online! https://www.helpmegrowoc.org/about.html Hit the Family tab on their website then scroll to the bottom and enter your email to subscribe to Help Me Grow's Parent Newsletter.

Welcome Back & Book Review

Hi Parents!      How are you all doing?  I pray that you all are well and that you are finding some sort of beauty in this season. If I'm being honest, the combination of more family time and slowing down has helped me pinpoint some gaps in my parenting.      A few weeks ago, after a couple of challenging days with my little ones, I plopped into bed feeling that same old familiar feeling of tiredness mixed with unsettling. Did my children hold a secret meeting to plan ways to push my buttons? I pictured them in their super hero pjs writing their plan on a whiteboard while I thought they were sleeping. I laid in bed and started scrolling different articles, blogs and parenting websites for guidance.  I ended up ordering some books to help me with these cycles that I feel I get stuck in with my parenting.      Over Spring break I dove into No-Drama Discipline: The Whole-Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind By Daniel J. Seigel and Tina P

3 Ways to Teach Empathy to Your Preschooler

Hey Parents, Teaching empathy is harder than it seems. Studies actually call empathy a skill and, as you may know already, it comes more easily to some than others. So what exactly is empathy? Empathy is defined as "the ability to understand and share the feelings of another." My favorite explanation is given by the one and only Brene Brown- Check it out below.. So now that we've defined what empathy is, we can start to practice it.  Because if there's one thing I know about having children, it's that it's nearly impossible to teach something well if you don't practice it yourself. Which leads me to my first point. Model it -  Yikes this is a challenging one! Being mindful that our children are watching most everything we do is important. They're watching you treat your waitress with kindness or ignoring your postal worker. They're learning from you picking up the trash outside the restaurant or leaving things for someone else to